– Picking favourite films is super hard. Putting a film over another, especially when their merits lie in completely different things (story – characters – acting – directing – visuality) is extremely difficult to do. When given a genre, it became easier, but the two spots I saved for last (second favourite film, favourite film) had several contenders, and already I feel like I should’ve picked something else.
– Favourite definitely doesn’t equal best. Most of the films I’ve gone through in this challenge are in no way perfect filmmaking. But who needs perfect? When I think about my favourite films, those are the films that made me think or feel on a magnified level rather than go ‘wow that was technically great’. Often an idea or a thought conveyed through the screen, however small it is, is the thing that sticks with you for so much longer than a feeling of seeing a classic, perfectly construed film.
– I dig Spanish. Y Tu Mamá También, Todo Sobre Di Mi Madre, El Orfanato and Amores Perros range from Mexico to Spain expressing that really, this is a language that works extremely well with drama and romance. All in all, out of 30 films 8 were not in English (take that imperialism!).
– The most popular post by far was my selection for ‘favourite drama film’, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.
– 14 of the films were made in the past 11 years, 24 in the past 21 years. I guess this reflects my age quite well. (P.S. I’m not 11.)
Your Favourite Film : Fight Club (1999)
Your Second Favourite Film : A Beautiful Mind (2001)
A Film You Watch to Feel Good : O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
A Film You Watch to Feel Down : Kes (1969)
A Film That Reminds You of Someone : Y Tu Mamá También (2001)
A Film That Reminds You of Somewhere : Todo Sobre Di Mi Madre (1999)
A Film That Reminds You of Your Past : Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
The Film You Can Quote Best : The Big Lebowski (1998)
A Film With Your Favourite Actor (Male) : American History X (1998)
A Film With Your Favourite Actor (Female) : Magnolia (1999)
A Film By Your Favourite Director : Se7en (1995)
A Film By Your Least Favourite Director : Bad Boys (1995)
A Guilty Pleasure : Shoot ‘Em Up (2007)
The Film That No One Expected You To Like : Zombieland (2009)
The Film That Depicts Your Life : Man On Wire (2008)
A Film You Used to Love, But Now Hate : The Sixth Sense (1999)
Your Favourite Drama Film : One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
Your Favourite Comedy Film : Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
Your Favourite Action Film : The Dark Knight (2008)
Your Favourite Romantic Film : High Fidelity (2000)
Your Favourite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film : Blade Runner (1982)
Your Favourite Horror Film : El Orfanato (2007)
Your Favourite Thriller/Mystery Film : Rear Window (1954)
Your Favourite Animated or Children’s Film : Waltz With Bashir (2008)
Your Favourite Documentary Film : Grizzly Man (2005)
Your Favourite Foreign Language Film : Efter Brylluppet (2006)
Your Favourite Independent Film : Amores Perros (2000)
The Most Obscure Film You’ve Ever Seen : Delicatessen (1991)
Your Favourite Film As a Kid : Jumanji (1995)
Your Favourite Film This Time Last Year : Océans (2009)
Which film is your favourite out of my picks?